Pages

Friday 16 February 2018

The Write Advice 104: ARIELLE AARONSON


I think ideally a translator should read through the entire work and be able to see through the text to grasp the style of writing… But all authors have different writing styles, of course.  So a huge part of me would say that it’s important to stick as close to the author’s intent and voice as possible. However, I also feel that reading should be a pleasurable experience. Therefore, I will also try to adapt my translation in order to reflect how an English speaker might perceive the text.  Does this involve making subjective assumptions?  Yes.  While that may be problematic at times, I also find that when sentences are translated too faithfully they jump off the page as sounding awkward and forced.  And that irks me.

Québec Reads [date unspecified]


 

Use the link below to visit the website of Canadian writer and translator ARIELLE AARONSON:

 

https://www.arielleaaronson.com/projects

 

 

 

You might also enjoy:

 
The Write Advice 094: HARRY HANSEN

 
The Write Advice 064: JOY WILLIAMS

 
The Write Advice 034: DAWN POWELL

No comments:

Post a Comment